Skip to main content

Work in Progress: Half Square Triangles & Flying Geese Blocks for myPrince Charming Quilt

I made some progress on my Prince Charming quilt in the past couple weeks.  I finished the half square triangle block for the corners of the main block.  I recently came across a tutorial on how to create 4 HSTs with two large squares of fabric.  I can't remember where I first read it, but a quick google search provided this Half Square Triangle Tutorial.  The nice thing about that tutorial is that the blogger provided an easy formula for determining the size you need for the two initial squares of fabric to yield 4 HSTs (although I think her formula is for a block including seam allowances.) The original tutorial I read didn't provide such information so it took some time for me to figure out the sizes I needed.  Eventually I figured out that for a finished (meaning, after it's all sewn together) 3"x3" square, I would need to start with two (2) - 5.5"x5.5" squares.

Half Square Triangles

After those suckers were done I moved onto the flying geese blocks.  I wasn't sure what size fabric to start with so I did a google search and found a Flying Geese Tutorial with 2 methods.  I don't particularly like "wasting" fabric so I knew I had to use the second method because it doesn't waste any fabric.  I tried the tutorial on some scrap fabrics and was very pleased with the results so I moved onto my "real" fabric and then sewed some onto the main blocks:

Flying Geese Block

Note: I usually sew a quarter inch seam allowance by placing the edge of the fabric along the edge of the walking foot and moving the needle one stop closer to that edge.  But for the flying geese blocks I shifted the needle over two stops and was able to get nice pointed corners once the flying geese blocks were sewn to other blocks.  Who knows how will this impact the seams matching from row to row......

I haven't made as much progress on this quilt as I had hoped, but at least I have the most difficult pieces done (or so I think).  I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I have enough fabric.  Although, the tan fabric in the flying geese is a Kona cotton that I purchased a couple weeks ago and the white is another Kona cotton that I bought several yards of a couple months ago and hadn't used until this project.  I'll probably use these two fabrics on the back of the quilt and incorporate little leftover pieces of the Prince Charming collection.  I wonder how much longer this quilt will take to finish, but I am enjoying learning how to create new blocks during this process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al...

{Travel} Whirlwind Sightseeing in Hong Kong

My husband and I recently went on a 2 week vacation and ermagherd it was amazing. I used to work with someone who, every year, would save all of his vacation days during the year and then go on an epic 3-4 week vacation traveling to several countries. We were all envious, wishing we could do the same. Well, we could have done the same, but we chose not to do it because it wasn't a priority for any of us. Now that I'm back from one of the longest vacations I've ever been on in my adult life, I want to do it again. I want to make traveling outside the States a priority. One perk at my job is that I get approximately 20 vacation days/year. However, I accrue them every paycheck, so right now I'm hovering around 0 hours. So many paydays to go... We were in Hong Kong for 5 days and 4 nights, although only 3 full days as the other 2 were mostly occupied with traveling. We took a flight from LAX, connected in San Francisco, and then embarked on a 14 hour flight. It'...

Sewaholic Davie LBD

What's your definition of "Work Appropriate" when it comes to dresses? Of course, one's work environment will determine the definition of "work appropriate" so it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all situation. I started drafting this post before I read Charlotte's recent post about dressing for work and loved reading her post and the discussion in the comments. Personally, I work in a fairly conservative industry. I'm an engineer, I work in an office, and when I go to client meetings, project interviews, public outreach meetings, and professional work events, the guys are in suits (mostly with ties) and the women are in similar attire (suits, pencil skirts w/ nice blouse, sheath or fit-and-flare dresses). Go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor's website and check out the work styles. That's my "work appropriate" attire. Apparently my husband severely disagrees. And I found out we had drastically different opinions regar...