Skip to main content

{Finished Items} Patchwork, Please!

I just couldn't resist any longer. Over the weekend I finally bought Ayumi's book, 'Patckwork, Please!'.

{side note: my husband can't stop saying it like this: "Patckwork? PUH-LEASE!" He's also the guy who will always say, "I have Du-puis" when we watch a hockey game involving the Pittsburgh Penguins and the announcer mentions Pascal Dupuis. Also, he never fails to say, "I guess he's just in a bit of a pickle" when we watch a game involving the San Jose Sharks and the announcer mentions Vlasic's name. *sigh* he's such a goofball, but aren't we all ;) }

We spent Saturday afternoon at The Grove and Farmer's Market having lunch and picking up some goodies. There is a Barnes and Noble at The Grove so I insisted we stop by since I may have checked earlier in the week if the book was in stock (it was!). It took a bit longer than I anticipated to find the book because a sneaky stock person placed it in the knitting section instead of the sewing section so I had a moment of panic when I couldn't find it. I felt so smart and victorious when I found the book.

I knew I needed to make a project from this book ASAP or else it would just sit on my bookshelf for weeks and months. The main reason I was hesitant to start on these projects is because I don't think I have the "right" fabrics. I don't have quite the fabric stash that most of the quilting blogging universe appears to have. I don't have any quirky text prints or linens and most of the fabric I have runs on the darker side, but I made do with what I had. All of the fabric I used was purchased at Momen+.

I made one bell pepper coaster and one pincushion.
Pincushion Top

I have one small, itty bitty gripe with the book. I would have preferred if all the templates were positioned close to the book's free edge. In some cases, the templates are closer to the bound edge and there is text closer to the free edge. Why couldn't they have switched positions??? I don't like "cracking" a book's bind, it sorta pains me when I have to make creases in bound books. In this case I have to really open the book in order to make sure the template is copied correctly. Thankfully, most of the templates are drawn to scale so you don't need to worry about magnifying the copies. However, I noticed one template needs to be copied at 133% magnification and my home printer doesn't offer that magnification size, so I'll have to go to a copier store.

Top of Coaster

I was too lazy to change the top-stitching thread to match the light fabric. I sorta like the contrast, although I would have liked it better if my top-stitching was even....whoops!

I have to admit that these two items took me way longer than I had anticipated. This was my first foray into paper piecing and I didn't quite read through all of the instructions in the sample block. My points aren't perfect, mainly because I think my grid ruler is a bit off, which caused my traced templates to be off in size. However, as Ayumi explains in the intro part, you shouldn't have "perfect" projects when you start because improving your work is part of the fun of paper piecing. And she's right! I'm excited to make more and improve my technique. After having completed these two items, especially the pincushion, I feel way more confident in tackling more paper pieced projects. I really want to try freezer paper piecing next.

Side View of Pincushion

The projects in this book are so freaking adorable. This book inspires me to collect fabric based on colors and scale of prints. I just found out a good friend of mine is expecting so I'm definitely going to whip up some bibs from this book. Now I just need to get my hands on more fabric....

Comments

  1. Oh thank you so much for sharing your nice creations from the book along with your experience in getting the book (So glad you found it at BN!) and in sewing those items! I think you have such neat fabric and you used it so beautifully! The cat in the center is so perfect! I really like how you used the red fabric for your coaster - it adds such a perfect contract!
    Thank you again for your lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading my blog post and commenting!! Your work is unbelievable and I was absolutely thrilled when you released a book. I can't wait to get started on more of your projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never not think of this book as "Patchwork? PUH-LEASE!" again. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not quite sure why he started saying it like that. I'm waiting for it to escalate to "Patchwork? Bitch, Puh-lease!!"

    On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:39 AM, Calmez-Vous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pincushion and coaster! Hope you're going to participate in Zakka Along 2.0 (on Flickr and Facebook)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I plan on participating in the Zakka Along 2.0 if I can keep my momentum going and continue making projects. Although knowing myself, I may easily get distracted by some other craft project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your comment about first pieces shouldn't be perfect. it makes me appreciate my first attempt at patchwork and know that I can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paper piecing is a bit daunting at first. I was definitely more concerned about making sure the fabric was positioned correctly and that there was enough seam allowance. Eventually I'll become OCD about every point matching, but for now I just want it to be fun and not stressful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

Sewaholic Davie LBD

What's your definition of "Work Appropriate" when it comes to dresses? Of course, one's work environment will determine the definition of "work appropriate" so it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all situation. I started drafting this post before I read Charlotte's recent post about dressing for work and loved reading her post and the discussion in the comments. Personally, I work in a fairly conservative industry. I'm an engineer, I work in an office, and when I go to client meetings, project interviews, public outreach meetings, and professional work events, the guys are in suits (mostly with ties) and the women are in similar attire (suits, pencil skirts w/ nice blouse, sheath or fit-and-flare dresses). Go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor's website and check out the work styles. That's my "work appropriate" attire. Apparently my husband severely disagrees. And I found out we had drastically different opinions regar