Skip to main content

{Links} Sewing::14.09.21

Bias Tape and Piping
Bias Binding and Piping from Momen+
I'm going to try something new here. A weekly round-up of sewing related blog posts, articles, and snippets from the internet.

I know a lot of us subscribe to a ton (ok, hundreds....maybe thousands??) of blogs and we don't always have the chance to read through every single post. And some of us carefully curate our feed to a select few as not to be overwhelmed. I follow a bunch of blogs through Feedly and I like the "saved for later" feature because it allows me to easily select blog posts that I want to reference later. I know there are so many blogs out there that I haven't heard of so hopefully I link to something new that you may enjoy!

1. Ever seen Spool Blocks and thought, 'how the heck do you sew that?' Well, check out Rita's tutorial on spool blocks and nine-patch blocks. Every single one of her posts, and especially her tutorials, always makes me want to dig into my stash and get quilting. {Rita//Red Pepper Quilts}

2. This isn't entirely sewing related, but I know a lot of sewists use Twitter so this might be of interest to you. Apparently Twitter changed something recently about how your page looks, so here's a tutorial for adding a background to your Twitter Status Updates. {Dana//Wonder Forest}

3. This article/review about The Fabric Store and its LA location is from March, but I just recently came upon it when I was trying to find additional info about the store to send to my mom. I was very surprised to read about how they come about acquiring their fabric. Regardless, that store has amazing fabric that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. {The Fabric Store//LA Times}

4. Another LA Times article to share, but this time about highlighting a garment broker.....what the what is that?! I was incredibly fascinated by this article. There's so much business related stuff that I just can't comprehend. Like, how does somehow even know how to get into that sort of stuff? {Garment Broker//LA Times}

5. Here's a tutorial for installing a metal zipper. As I was reading this I realized I have never used a metal zipper in any of my projects. I shall have to try it soon! Another thing to mention in relation to Chase's post, is that she showcases a lot of projects that use small scraps. I have a bunch of scraps laying around, mostly because I can't bring myself to throw them away, but I never know how to incorporate them into my projects. I should take inspiration from Chase and start making some scrappy projects! {Chase//1/4" mark}

Hope all of you had a relaxing weekend. The temps have finally dropped here in LA from the 90s to the low-mid 80s so I was definitely much happier this weekend. That may not seem like a big deal for most of you in locations where 90s are the norm for summer. However, in LA most houses don't have central AC because you really only need it for maybe a week or two out of every year. But ohhhh shiiiiiit, when that week hits, you wanna die.

Have a good week, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al...

{Travel} Whirlwind Sightseeing in Hong Kong

My husband and I recently went on a 2 week vacation and ermagherd it was amazing. I used to work with someone who, every year, would save all of his vacation days during the year and then go on an epic 3-4 week vacation traveling to several countries. We were all envious, wishing we could do the same. Well, we could have done the same, but we chose not to do it because it wasn't a priority for any of us. Now that I'm back from one of the longest vacations I've ever been on in my adult life, I want to do it again. I want to make traveling outside the States a priority. One perk at my job is that I get approximately 20 vacation days/year. However, I accrue them every paycheck, so right now I'm hovering around 0 hours. So many paydays to go... We were in Hong Kong for 5 days and 4 nights, although only 3 full days as the other 2 were mostly occupied with traveling. We took a flight from LAX, connected in San Francisco, and then embarked on a 14 hour flight. It'...

Sewaholic Davie LBD

What's your definition of "Work Appropriate" when it comes to dresses? Of course, one's work environment will determine the definition of "work appropriate" so it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all situation. I started drafting this post before I read Charlotte's recent post about dressing for work and loved reading her post and the discussion in the comments. Personally, I work in a fairly conservative industry. I'm an engineer, I work in an office, and when I go to client meetings, project interviews, public outreach meetings, and professional work events, the guys are in suits (mostly with ties) and the women are in similar attire (suits, pencil skirts w/ nice blouse, sheath or fit-and-flare dresses). Go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor's website and check out the work styles. That's my "work appropriate" attire. Apparently my husband severely disagrees. And I found out we had drastically different opinions regar...