Skip to main content

{Travel} Itoya: I'll Take Alllllll the Pens

Despite not hitting up any fabric stores during my trip to Tokyo I did manage to visit Itoya*, a lovely stationery store. Looking back, I am bit confused why Itoya was so high up on my list of 'must-see' while fabric stores were so low on my list. I have no explanation for it.

When I was planning my trip, my mom kept telling me to visit Ginza, especially on a Sunday for the crowds, and my Dad chimed in that his favorite pen store is in Ginza. I don't think my dad and I have ever officially discussed our love of pens, but as I reflect back on my life I now see we have a similar interest in writing instruments.

Itoya is located very close to the main hot spots in Ginza (here's a link to Google Maps) so it wasn't like we had to go out of our way. My husband wasn't exactly jumping at the chance to visit a stationery store. I'm sure he asked more than once whether I could get the same things back home. I dunno, husband. Do you know of a 5 storied stationery store?????


Itoya Floor Map

Ohhh yeah, Itoya is 5 floors of stationery heaven. My dad completely failed to mention this fact, so I was in for a wonderful surprise. Now, one floor is dedicated to wedding stuff (invitations, favors), but the other 4 floors were awesome!

My favorite floor was the one with all the pens. Now sure, you can buy pens at any ol' store and there are specialty stationery stores scattered around LA, but Itoya had a huge selection of pens (ballpoint, jelly, roller, brush, fancy, tiny ones, big ones, fountain pens, etc.). While I do buy a variety of pens from JetPens.com every now and then (and I saw those pens at Itoya), I can't sample them before I buy them, which is key to ensure I'll actually like them! I don't know about you, but writing with a good pen can definitely make my day. Below are some photos of everything I purchased.


Itoya Swag

I only bought 1 mechanical pencil, 3 pens, and 2 brush pens, but only because I didn't really want to spend my whole paycheck on a bucket full of pens. One of the pens that I bought (which isn't shown in the above photo because I took it to work) is a gel pen, but is completely erasable (here's a link to it on JetPens). It's the BEST erasable pen I've ever used.

Pretty Things from Itoya

I was also enamored by all the kawaii stickers and accessories. I also got some silly stuff too, like the metal penholder with a cat on it. I'm still a little confused on how to use it, but who the eff cares, it's adorable! I think you're supposed to clip it onto a notebook so you have an instant penholder.

Cat Penholder from Itoya

The large black cats in the first swag photo are wall stickers, which my husband was *this* close to nixing. He said the stickers "did not go with our home decor". My husband finally agreed that I could get one for my sewing room that was representative of our cat so I picked the one with the cat spritely walking from the light switch. My cat has a tendency to open doors and bust on in as if to say, "what up bitches!", so that one reminded me of him. The one with two cats is actually for my brother and SIL because they have two cats.

If I hadn't already pre-ordered the Get to Work Book, I would have bought a planner. I assume you could have even made your own customized one because there were all sorts of refills available. Even in the digital age and my desire to have less and less stuff, I still love a good planner with actual pages that I can write in and clearly flip through. In anticipation of getting the Get to WorkBook, I purchased those tiny stickers.

I definitely showed some self-restraint while browsing through Itoya. One of the floors had pen pouches, bags, and portfolios, all of which were so tempting...and expensive. Gahhhh, it was all so wonderful.

*I went to the website while writing this post and discovered Itoya is opening a store in June with 12 floors!!! TWELVE!!! I HAVE TO GO BACK!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al...

{Travel} Whirlwind Sightseeing in Hong Kong

My husband and I recently went on a 2 week vacation and ermagherd it was amazing. I used to work with someone who, every year, would save all of his vacation days during the year and then go on an epic 3-4 week vacation traveling to several countries. We were all envious, wishing we could do the same. Well, we could have done the same, but we chose not to do it because it wasn't a priority for any of us. Now that I'm back from one of the longest vacations I've ever been on in my adult life, I want to do it again. I want to make traveling outside the States a priority. One perk at my job is that I get approximately 20 vacation days/year. However, I accrue them every paycheck, so right now I'm hovering around 0 hours. So many paydays to go... We were in Hong Kong for 5 days and 4 nights, although only 3 full days as the other 2 were mostly occupied with traveling. We took a flight from LAX, connected in San Francisco, and then embarked on a 14 hour flight. It'...

Sewaholic Davie LBD

What's your definition of "Work Appropriate" when it comes to dresses? Of course, one's work environment will determine the definition of "work appropriate" so it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all situation. I started drafting this post before I read Charlotte's recent post about dressing for work and loved reading her post and the discussion in the comments. Personally, I work in a fairly conservative industry. I'm an engineer, I work in an office, and when I go to client meetings, project interviews, public outreach meetings, and professional work events, the guys are in suits (mostly with ties) and the women are in similar attire (suits, pencil skirts w/ nice blouse, sheath or fit-and-flare dresses). Go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor's website and check out the work styles. That's my "work appropriate" attire. Apparently my husband severely disagrees. And I found out we had drastically different opinions regar...