Skip to main content

Testing Sallie

I almost declined testing Heather's newest pattern for Closet Case Files, the Sallie Jumpsuit/Maxi, because it looked sooooooo farrrrrrrr outside my comfort zone. Jumpsuit? Excuse me, what? Long, flowy dress? Hmmm, don't think I've ever spotted one in my closet.

{CCF} Sallie Maxi Dress

But I took a chance and accepted. It wasn't that I didn't like the line drawings or concept. It just it didn't seem like me. And it didn't seem like me because I had always, always, always stayed away from those styles. But if what if they were for me?

As I contemplated what to respond to Heather, I put myself in my private fantasy version of "What Not to Wear". I could hear myself telling Stacy and Clinton, "but I never wear maxi dresses! I'm short, I can't wear them." I could almost feel Stacy rolling her eyes as she forced several maxi styles in my hands and pushed me into the dressing room. Out I appeared in a long, flowy and ridiculously comfortable knit maxi dress. Stacy throws up her arms in victory, turns, and walks away, silently proclaiming "I fucking told you so!" and Clinton stands there with one hand cupping his jaw, delicately grinning with approval.

Yes, maybe these styles are for me. I accepted the challenge to make myself a maxi dress or jumpsuit because it was like the sewing Gods were telling me to take a chance. And let's be honest, I love testing patterns! I've said it before, how can I get a job as a professional pattern tester?

{CCF} Sallie Maxi Dress

The other reason I accepted to test this pattern is because I'm heading to a European wedding this year and one of the events is a 70s/disco-themed party. My friend had some inspiration photos and there were all these jumpsuits! There's also going to be a pool party as well before the late-night party so basically this pattern will serve as my European vacation wardrobe builder.

While I really wanted to test the jumpsuit, and I even made an inspiration board (for the first time ever), I unfortunately couldn't find the right fabric in the short time frame. I want a fabric with a little bit of body and a print that will help camouflage my hips and bum. I decided to make the maxi in a fabric that was already in my stash: this beautiful fuchsia and white print, lightweight jersey from The Fabric Store. I bought it during the LA Sewist meet-up with intentions of making a wrap dress, but I was always concerned it was too lightweight. However, the bodice of the Sallie Maxi dress is self-lined, so this fabric seemed to be just perfect for it.

Even though I'm writing about the tester version, Heather mentioned she didn't make too many changes to the final version. One noticeable difference is the hem of the skirt, which is now more of a curve.

{CCF} Sallie Maxi Dress

One thing to remember about CCF patterns is that Heather is conscious of suggesting just the right amount of fabric for her patterns. Sometimes I like to cheat with my yardage because I know I'll have to shorten hems (and I did shorten the skirt to accommodate my 4'11" stature), but I BARELY fit this dress on 2 yards of 60" wide fabric. The suggested yardage was 2.25 yards (now upped to 2.5 yards) and I would highly, highly recommend you do not buy less than that. I had to do some finagling to get everything to fit, including placing the print in opposite directions on the front and back skirt panels. I thought I had a non-directional print, but if you look closely, you can tell that the pattern isn't quite symmetrical.....but thankfully it's not noticeable from afar.

The pockets aren't very deep so you don't have to worry about large pocket bags getting in the way and contributing to unsightly bulge. Usually I don't actually put stuff in pockets of my dresses or skirts, but I really like having them there to put my hands or even just the tips of my fingers in (that sounds so weird, but you know what mean, right?).

{CCF} Sallie Maxi Dress

There is elastic casing at the bottom of the bodice (just above the waist seam), which helps prevent any ballooning of the dress. I tried attaching the elastic in a different method and it DID NOT WORK, so I would advise you to follow the instructions because they do work! Fancy how that worked out ;)

I made a straight Size 6 (except for all that shortening of the skirt) because it matched my measurements and everything fit really well. I told Heather that I thought the skirt portion was perfect around my hips and bum, but I thought the bodice could have been a bit more snug. However, she said the dress is designed to be a bit looser on top, so take that into consideration when you pick your size. I'm a way more conservative dresser, so having low cut tops that are on the looser side will take some getting used to on my end.

{CCF} Sallie Maxi Dress Slit

The slits aren't revealing at all, but rather provide extra movement and some sexiness! I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what I thought when I first tried on this dress. I was worried I looked frumpy in it and that the top was too loose. But after twirling around on my patio taking photos I really warmed up to it. I came back inside and realized just how comfortable I was in it. Not once was I worried about the top being too revealing or my bum looking dowdy. In fact I felt the opposite. I told Heather she has a way of designing patterns that bring out the sexiness in women.

Now for that jumpsuit version. Maybe instead of a printed fabric for the entire jumpsuit, I could do a color block version. A lighter colored silk or rayon jersey on top, maybe convert the kimono tee to a wrap bodice, and then dark colored jersey or ITY on bottom. What do you think of the Sallie Jumpsuit/Maxi pattern? The possibilities are endless! Thanks again, Heather, for letting me test your pattern!

Comments

  1. I think this looks fabulous on you - and I love the print and the colour! Can't wait to see your jumpsuit version!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.