Skip to main content

Sewaholic Pattern - Crescent Skirt Review

I have to start by expressing my admiration for Tasia and her pattern line, Sewaholic Patterns. I love reading her blog and seeing what patterns she develops. Also, she's cute as pie and I really want to support her business. I bought her Renfrew top pattern when it was released and made a couple tops, but the fabric I used was utterly terrible so the tops are more wearable muslins rather than wearable garments. I keep meaning to buy quality fabric because I really like the Renfrew pattern, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

One day back in August 2012 I had a strong urge to make the Crescent Skirt so I stopped by Sew LA on my way home from work and bought this pattern along with the Thurlow Trousers pattern and fabric for the skirt. I really wanted to use a cotton voile for the skirt, but Tasia mentioned that quilting cotton could be used as well. I thought the fabric I bought is called "City Commute", but I just googled it and can't find it anywhere, so maybe the fabric line is called something else. Anyhow, it's a quilting cotton and I figured the grey color would go well with almost anything.

I set out to make View B, the fuller skirt option, and used the Crescent Skirt Sew-Along as my sewing companion. I finished everything, but the final hem, when I tried it on and decided that I hated how it looked on me. Unfortunately, View B made me look huge in the hips and incredibly bottom-heavy. I contemplated just finishing the hem and chalking this up to a finished (but never-will-be-worn) garment, but I decided that I really wanted to make something that I could and would want to wear. So I did what any crazy sewist would do: I took it completely apart and started making View A. Except that I got so burnt out after taking it apart, that I couldn't deal with it anymore. It sat on my sewing table for months, until I finally had the motivation to finish it. Just before 2013 arrived I finished the skirt:

Here's the front:
Crescent Skirt - Front
Instead of having 4 front yoke pieces as the pattern called for, I combined the two middle ones because I didn't want a center seam .

And the back:
Crescent Skirt - Back

A close-up of the invisible zipper (which is not called for in the pattern, but I personally prefer):
Crescent Skirt -  Zipper

A close-up of the front detail:
Crescent Skirt - Front Details
You can see where an old seam was ripped out....but check out the top-stitching!

A look under (inside) the skirt:
Crescent Skirt - Inside
Those are some deep pockets, amiright? This was my first time sewing french seams in a garment. Also, I really like how the zipper was attached to the facing, which was then attached to the front yoke. I will definitely be using this technique on future skirts because it looks so polished.  Unfortunately, the hem is very un-polished....I finished the hem with iron-on bias tape. I saw this stuff at a local sewing store and thought it was worth a try. Since I desperately wanted to finished this skirt I thought I figured it would be quickest to use the iron-on bias hem tape. I definitely regret using it because it did not sew on smoothly at all. I'm also concerned how it will fare in the wash.

Final Thoughts:

It's been over a month since I finished this skirt and I still haven't worn it....One reason is because it's been cold and I'm not the type to rock tights or leggings under a skirt. The other reason is because I'm just not super thrilled with how it looks. This version is definitely more flattering than the fuller skirt option, but unfortunately I don't think this style of skirt suits my body type. I also couldn't figure out if the skirt was meant to be worn at the natural or low waist. I made mine to sit on my low waist, but I think the yoke design, which is pretty wide (or long?) causes my legs to look shorter than usual. The skirt might look better on me if I make it to sit on my natural waist...

However, I am glad I made the skirt because I learned several new techniques. The french seam on the pockets looks so clean and I want to try it on future garments. Or perhaps I'll try bias binding on the seams....hmmm, that's a thought.....The skirt came together rather quickly once I put my mind to it; the construction of the skirt looks fantastic and that's all due to the pattern, which is very well written. The sew-along was incredibly invaluable; I would have been lost at the zipper/facing point, but the step-by-step instructions were spot-on.

I may make this skirt again and if I do, then I will definitely use a cotton voile. I think quilting cotton is too stiff for this pattern. I like a bit more drape and swing in my skirts, especially with one that has so much body to it. Also, the pattern calls for interfacing on both the yoke and facing, but next time I'll only apply it to the yoke so it's not as stiff.

Anyway, whatever I decide to make, hopefully my next garment won't take 4 months to complete.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.