Skip to main content

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info.

If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier.

1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line
My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations along the JR Yamanote Train Line.
Soure: Tokyo Moob 

Taking a taxi is in Japan is $$$$$ so you'll want to have easy access to the train everyday to save money. The hotel's distance from the train station should depend on your comfort level walking to/from the train station with luggage. A 10 minute walk is my max distance, but you may think that's too long or you may be willing to walk longer WITH luggage. For reference, we stayed at the Celestine Hotel in Minato, about an 8-10 minute walk from the Tamachi Station on the JR Yamanote Line.

Also think about what time of day you may be leaving and arriving. We ended up arriving around 10:30pm and I'm glad our walk wasn't any longer. The Tamachi Station is about a 10 minute train ride from Tokyo Station (which really isn't that long) and only 1 stop away from Shinagawa Station, which is another big station where you can transfer to other major lines.

2. Traveling to/from Narita Airport
Check out Tokyo Cheapo's post on all of your options traveling to/from Narita Airport into/out of Tokyo. Most likely you will choose either the train or bus and will be dropped off at Tokyo Station.

I opted to take the Access Narita bus because we arrived at night and the bus came every 20 minutes, it's only 1,000 yen per ticket, and you pay when you board. The website has a lot of info and it's super easy to board. The bus was like a coach travel bus that you take on tours. The seats reclined, the bus was very clean, and the ride was comfortable.



The most popular train option seems to be the Narita Express. I decided not to take the train because it's 3x more expensive (3,000 yen per person), you have to buy a reserved ticket before boarding, the trains came about every 30 minutes, and the train is only a little faster than the bus by about 10 or 15 minutes. Saving 10-15 minutes wasn't worth it to me considering we probably would have spent even more time trying to buy the ticket and then waiting for the train.

3. Suica or Pasmo Card; Just Pick One
Most train systems around the world have a card or ticket that you can recharge with additional fare. In LA we have the TAP card, in NYC there is the Metro paper card, and I think Chicago has something similar. Tokyo's versions are the Suica Card and Pasmo Card, which from what I could gather, are pretty much the same thing.

Instead of buying a ticket every time you ride the train, you just purchase a Suica Card at a ticket vending machine and load it with as much money as you think you'll need. Then every time you ride the train, you just tap your Suica card at the fare gate to gain access into the station area, then tap again as you exit, and the system will deduct the appropriate fare.

If you don't have enough money on your Suica card, then when you try to exit, the fare gate will blink red and then you have to find a ticket vending machine in the station and load more money on it.

The website The Japan Guy has a great post about how to purchase a Suica card with photos of the fare vending machine screens. Every machine we used had a button for "english" so you don't need to know Japanese in order to use it. The English translations didn't always make complete sense, but you always have the option to cancel at any moment in case you need to start over.

The Suica card can be used on the all subway lines and JR lines (Yamanote Line that circles around Tokyo and the Yokosuke Line that takes you to Kamakura), so it's a really easy way to ride the train without worrying about buying one ticket for the exact fare for one train ride. You'll likely be taking multiple train rides throughout the day so just tapping your Suica card is super easy.

Additionally, you can also use your Suica card at regular vending machines to purchase drinks! You may also be able to use it at convenience stores, but I can't remember.

4. Tokyo Subway vs. Toiei Subway: Just Buy the Combined One-Day Pass
If you look at a subway or train map for Tokyo, chances are the map will include both the lines from the Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway, which are two different agencies.


I did not realize this until I tried to buy a one-day Subway pass. As of Spring 2015, the fares for one-day tickets are as follows:


Sure, it may be possible to ride just one line for the day and save 300-400 yen, but it is so much easier to buy the combined subway pass that allows you unlimited rides for both train lines for one day. The one-day pass is separate from your Suica card. You'll get a paper ticket that you have to insert into the fare gate every time you enter and exit.

Fares on the subways range from 160-220 yen per ride so at 1,000 yen per one-day combined subway ticket, if you plan on taking 4-5 rides, you'll break even. We bought a one-day combined pass twice because a couple days we were riding all over Tokyo.

Remember, the Tokyo Subway and Toei Subway Trains are separate from the JR lines (the Yamanote Line in particular). Whenever we had a one-day subway pass, we only took the subway lines. It was pretty easy to access Tokyo by only the subway lines in case you want to save a couple hundred yen by avoiding the JR Train on days you buy a one-day subway pass.

5. Need Help? Find the Green Window (Midori No Madoguchi)

We never actually went to the green window, but my mom kept telling me to go to the green window if we ever needed help. The only problem is, the one time I did need help (the first night we arrived and I couldn't find the right ticket vending machine to get a Suica card), the window was closed. We ended up walking around Tokyo Station until we found the right ticket machine. So, as long as you need help during normal business hours, just look for the green window if you're desperately in need of help.

7. Have Fun!
Riding the train in Tokyo is so much fun! If you get lost, who cares, just get on the next train! Everything is generally really easy to use. The lines are all color coded so you'll eventually get used to just looking for colors. (The JR Yamanote line is designated on signs in neon green.) If you think you did something wrong, then just find someone who works there and ask for help. Chances are someone else has made that mistake too and you're not the only one so don't feel embarrassed.

Comments

  1. All of these posts are making me want to go back to Japan!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! My parents are there right now and I wish I was there too. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did! By the way, when I was in Hong Kong I was looking at some beauty products and I bought some face masks. It made me think of you and how much fun you'll have in Korea later this year.

      Delete
  4. This is such a useful post! I never thought of people needing help with this kind of mundane detail, but of course, it's pretty necessary! There weren't any Suica/Pasmo cards the first time I lived in Japan, so you had to squint at the kanji map and figure out how much it cost to where you are going... or pay too little, and sort it out when you arrived! All hail Suica. Too bad Toronto doesn't have passcards yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't sure I should write about it, but this is type of stuff I always stress about so I figured I'd give my two cents. I can't imagine not having a Suica card in Japan! I saw some of those maps that showed all the fares at each stop and it looked so confusing.

      I can't believe Toronto doesn't have passcards! Hopefully Toronto gets them soon. Although, I don't think Paris does either....at least I don't think they did when I was there several years ago. And the individual tickets were so tiny, which I thought was odd.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.