Skip to main content

{Finished} Striped Sewaholic V-Neck Renfrew

I made this top in 2013, October I think, but only just finally got around to photographing and blogging about it. As I noted in my round-up of 2013, this top is my favorite make to date. I absolutely love wearing it; the fabric and fit are spot on and there's not much I would change. I made this top in the middle of struggling with another project that eventually became a disaster after taking up way too much of my time. It was nice to get something finished in the midst of such a "down" period of sewing. Sometimes you just need an easy project to get you through a rut to remind yourself that you can do this!

*I can sew a garment I am proud to wear in public!* I can do it!!*

I knew I could rely on Sewaholic patterns to get me through a rough spot. I was at Jo-Ann Fabrics one day to pick up some Simplicity patterns during the 5/$5 sale and stumbled upon a red dot apparel fabric sale section. I'm usually drawn to colors first, then I make my purchase decision based on the fabric type. I was immediately drawn to a royal blue/heather grey stripe fabric, but was a bit hesitant to buy it because it's a jersey knit. I'm not too fond of jersey because it stretches so damn much and I don't have a serger (well at the time I didn't, but I was lucky enough to be gifted one for xmas!!). Despite second guessing my ability to sew with jersey I just couldn't resist passing on those colors so I was determined to turn it into a successful Renfrew.

I had attempted a wearable muslin of the V-neck Renfrew several months ago with my leftover birdie fabric. The v-neck was waaay too low for my liking so I sorta fudged the necessary modification by taking in the shoulder seams, which resulted in weird noticeable bulges. It definitely resulted in a 'not-to-leave-the-house' shirt. Lesson learned.

This time I made sure to measure where I wanted the v-neck to fall (approximately 6 inches down from my neck/shoulder point). This was also my first time sewing with stripes and I tried so damn hard to match the stripes on the side seams and on the sleeves where possible. I pinned every other stripe to make sure the seams would match. I also shortened the shirt by 1 inch in the middle, but forgot to shorten the hem. I forgot how much the waistband adds to the length of the shirt so next time I'll shorten the hem by another inch. *Mental note taken*


The neckband doesn't sit flat because I think I stretched it out too much when I was sewing it, but it's not too noticeable...is it? The shirt is fitted enough to prevent any gaping at the neckline (maybe it's too fitted?? does someone need to go up a size??). I made a size 0, but used 3/8" seam allowances through the bust area and along the sleeves and cuffs (and the standard 5/8" seam allowances everywhere else). I probably could have gone down to a 1/4" seam allowance along the cuffs because my guns are feeling restricted.


I showed my husband and he exclaimed, "oh wow, this is totally a shirt you can wear on the weekend!" Translation: "holy shit, you actually made something that I think looks good!" so yes, this shirt is a success! A total success! I'm so glad I bought the fabric and even happier I spent the time to patiently match stripes at the seams. Can you even spot the seam??? Can you, can you?? (ok you probably can't because of the shadows....sorry)


Details:
Pattern: Sewaholic Renfrew (size 0, slight modifications)
Fabric: Jersey knit from Jo-Ann fabrics (very soft; thin and a bit sheer, but totally wearable)
Notions: just black thread


Seriously, I love this top!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al...

{Travel} Whirlwind Sightseeing in Hong Kong

My husband and I recently went on a 2 week vacation and ermagherd it was amazing. I used to work with someone who, every year, would save all of his vacation days during the year and then go on an epic 3-4 week vacation traveling to several countries. We were all envious, wishing we could do the same. Well, we could have done the same, but we chose not to do it because it wasn't a priority for any of us. Now that I'm back from one of the longest vacations I've ever been on in my adult life, I want to do it again. I want to make traveling outside the States a priority. One perk at my job is that I get approximately 20 vacation days/year. However, I accrue them every paycheck, so right now I'm hovering around 0 hours. So many paydays to go... We were in Hong Kong for 5 days and 4 nights, although only 3 full days as the other 2 were mostly occupied with traveling. We took a flight from LAX, connected in San Francisco, and then embarked on a 14 hour flight. It'...

Sewaholic Davie LBD

What's your definition of "Work Appropriate" when it comes to dresses? Of course, one's work environment will determine the definition of "work appropriate" so it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all situation. I started drafting this post before I read Charlotte's recent post about dressing for work and loved reading her post and the discussion in the comments. Personally, I work in a fairly conservative industry. I'm an engineer, I work in an office, and when I go to client meetings, project interviews, public outreach meetings, and professional work events, the guys are in suits (mostly with ties) and the women are in similar attire (suits, pencil skirts w/ nice blouse, sheath or fit-and-flare dresses). Go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor's website and check out the work styles. That's my "work appropriate" attire. Apparently my husband severely disagrees. And I found out we had drastically different opinions regar...