Skip to main content

Argh, Interfacing!!!

Sooooooooo....this happened on my current "vintage" make:





I was *THIS* close to finishing a #VintagePledge sewing project, but progress came to a screeching halt when I basted on the bow and discovered I looked like I was auditioning for the circus.

Seriously, my bow looks NOTHING like the one on the envelope.


The fabric is a voile and I was so hesitant to interface the bow, as is instructed in the pattern. But I found an "ultra lightweight interfacing" made by Pellon that I had in my stash. It felt very lightweight with a good amount of drape so I went ahead and fused that bitch onto my beautiful voile, knowing full well that I didn't have enough leftover fabric to redo it if it turned out shitty.

Well, it turned out shitty and now I'm stuck doing this:



yep, I'm scraping the interfacing off the bow ever so delicately. I've gone through a fantastic episode of Parenthood and a gawd-awful episode of Grey's Anatomy and I'm still maybe only halfway there. I could go back to the fabric store and purchase a quarter yard, but I'm feeling cheap and I don't even know whether I'll like the blouse with a looser bow.

So, lesson learned. Use a high quality lightweight interfacing for delicate fabrics or none at all. Oh, and I should remember to read other sewing bloggers' makes; I forgot that Handmade Jane made this blouse last fall and I just re-read her post and she left out the interfacing......I would have saved myself hours if I had just taken a minute or two to hop on over to her blog. *sigh* I'll finish this blouse eventually...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al...

{Travel} Whirlwind Sightseeing in Hong Kong

My husband and I recently went on a 2 week vacation and ermagherd it was amazing. I used to work with someone who, every year, would save all of his vacation days during the year and then go on an epic 3-4 week vacation traveling to several countries. We were all envious, wishing we could do the same. Well, we could have done the same, but we chose not to do it because it wasn't a priority for any of us. Now that I'm back from one of the longest vacations I've ever been on in my adult life, I want to do it again. I want to make traveling outside the States a priority. One perk at my job is that I get approximately 20 vacation days/year. However, I accrue them every paycheck, so right now I'm hovering around 0 hours. So many paydays to go... We were in Hong Kong for 5 days and 4 nights, although only 3 full days as the other 2 were mostly occupied with traveling. We took a flight from LAX, connected in San Francisco, and then embarked on a 14 hour flight. It'...

Sewaholic Davie LBD

What's your definition of "Work Appropriate" when it comes to dresses? Of course, one's work environment will determine the definition of "work appropriate" so it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all situation. I started drafting this post before I read Charlotte's recent post about dressing for work and loved reading her post and the discussion in the comments. Personally, I work in a fairly conservative industry. I'm an engineer, I work in an office, and when I go to client meetings, project interviews, public outreach meetings, and professional work events, the guys are in suits (mostly with ties) and the women are in similar attire (suits, pencil skirts w/ nice blouse, sheath or fit-and-flare dresses). Go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor's website and check out the work styles. That's my "work appropriate" attire. Apparently my husband severely disagrees. And I found out we had drastically different opinions regar...