Skip to main content

2014 Mid-Year Check-In

Hello hello! I'm still blogging....just very very infrequently. I have so many draft blog posts, but I've been super lazy about taking photos of my finished (or in-progress) makes. Most of the photos in this mid-year check-in post are from Instagram.....which is just so convenient. The pics look decent on a phone, but not so good on a full-size screen.....sorry not sorry.

Here's a nice photo to start things off on a good foot. It's all downhill after this one!



Man oh man, where the heck did time go?

A lot has happened in the first half of 2014, in my personal and sewing life. I haven't blogged since March! I think the best way to get back into blogging is to do a check-in, so here we go:

I started 2014 with a sewing goal: 8 projects. I actually forgot what I had on that list and had to look at my blog post to see what I told myself to sew this year! (I also had planned on listing the 8 projects on my sidebar and crossing off each one as I completed it, but hello, laziness!)



I'm actually doing pretty well with the goal! Madalynne recently discussed "Fast Sewing", which she described as the sewing world getting caught up in every new pattern release or fabric and rushing to create them to be in the "in crowd". I can't say I'm above all that because I do cave-in when I see a pattern I really like, but I don't sew very fast. I think it's because I usually have to make several modifications for a patten fit me right and my sewing/fitting skills aren't quite to that point where I know exactly what to fix on the first couple tries. I only listed 8 projects as a goal this year because I didn't want to pressure myself to go too fast and I knew it would leave me time to work on other stuff.



Anyway, back to the 8 Projects. I'm over halfway there! How convenient! I made a sleeveless Emery Dress, another Emery Dress, the Zinnia skirt, and Coat/Jacket. I decided to swap the Robson Trench Coat for the Deer and Doe Pavot Jacket, which was about the right length of coat I wanted. I haven't blogged this jacket yet, but I did Instagram it several times. I probably should add that it's actually only 98% finished because I still haven't sewn on the buttons. I discovered the other day that my buttons are a tad bit too big for the buttonholes I made....oops! Oh well. I also finished the Closet Case Patterns Bombshell swimsuit (which is ah-maze-ing!) right at the end of  June so I'm counting it as a first half of the year make.



I've also made a couple other things this year:
3 Monetas (one turned into a shirt), a third Emery Dress (although I've unpicked some parts and still need to fix it), the Deer and Doe Belladone Dress, and another Sewaholic Tofino PJ pants. I'm also halfway through a fourth Moneta; I just purchased "lining" fabric, but it may turn out to be a reversible dress (keep your fingers crossed!) And I haven't blogged about any of these! Although all of them except one have been Instagrammed.



I am also working on a muslin for a blazer (the Simplicity Amazing Fit pattern) because I noticed this year that a well-fitted blazer is a serious hole in my wardrobe. I ran into some fit issues around the front armscye/sleeve area so that muslin has been set aside while I think about it.

Despite all the garments I've made this year so far, I'm totally going to have to buckle down to complete the last 4 Sewing Goals for 2014. I tried making a rub-off of one of my husband's shirts and came across some difficulty getting the muslin to fit just right. (we also got pissy at each other during the fitting process because he claims I snapped at him multiple times, and I just wanted him to stand still, which he was not doing. the difficulties of unselfish sewing...). In March I was so gung-ho regarding menswear, but it's been more difficult than I was hoping. I bet part of it is that I want whatever I make my husband to fit him absolutely perfectly because I want him to feel good in it not just because his wife made him something, but because his wife is a fucking master at sewing menswear. I might need to let my OCD/perfectionism take a seat and just sew the damn thing. If it fits, great! If not, well, I'll know what to fix for next time. I also promised my husband a badass vest (like one the guys wear in Justified). I have a Simplicity pattern, but I haven't even made a muslin yet.



I still need to do some tweaking to the Albion Toggle Coat pattern. I can probably put it off till after summer since I won't be needing a wool coat anytime soon. I mean shit, I didn't need a wool coat this past winter.



On the personal front (omigod, I'm getting personal here!), I finally met some sewing bloggers in real life at Christine Haynes' book party at Sew LA. I know this is still sewing related, but I'm including it in the personal section because it's proof that I stepped out of my comfort zone to meet new people. I was definitely nervous about how to start talking to people (*goodness I sound so ridiculous*), but I am very glad I went!



I also changed jobs in the spring. I felt like I was getting held back at my old job and was worried that I was getting "behind"....if that makes any sense. I also looked around my office and asked myself if I saw myself working there in 5 years and the answer was a resounding 'No', so I knew I had to make move. I'm still in the same field, still working in Downtown LA, but with a different company (actually, the one I started at when I entered the workforce, just a different office location). So far, so good! I also had so much vacation time saved at my last job, that I treated myself to a week and a half staycation. I sewed. I tried a new ramen joint. I worked out. I also went to Vegas for a couple days with the husband and bet $20 the LA Kings would win the Stanley Cup at 12/1 odds....which THEY DID! NOW I HAVE TO GO TO VEGAS AGAIN TO COLLECT MY SCRILLA!



Holy Shit, the LA Kings won another Stanley Cup!!!! Not sure if I've ever talked about it here, but I've been an insane LA Kings fan since I was a little kid (like since 6 or 7 years old). Never did I think they would win 1 Cup, let along 2 Cups in 3 years! It's crazy and ridiculous that I get so freaking emotional over a sports team, but I do. I admit it. I bawled like a baby when they won Cup #1 and I still cried (albeit a lot less) when they won Cup #2. I also seriously considered dropping over $600 PER TICKET for my husband and I to attend the Cup Clinching game, but then "Rational Kaoru" appeared and talked me out of it. So now I have money to buy fabric this summer :)



Also, in addition to the 4 projects left on my 2014 list, I recently found out I will be attending two weddings this summer and I was thinking, holy shit, I sew! I should make my dresses! I feel confident enough in my sewing skills to whip up two wedding-guest-appropriate dresses so I should do it. I just need to figure out what pattern(s) and what fabric......any suggestions???

Ok, back to sewing! Yay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.