Skip to main content

The Bubble Gum Belladone Vegas Dress


At the beginning of April I found myself between jobs by choice (I suppose I was technically unemployed.) I had over 4 weeks of outstanding vacation days at my old job so I decided that I could "afford" to sit around and do nothing for a week and a half before I started my new job. My husband and I entertained the idea of road tripping up the coast to the Bay Area and hitting up Hearst Castle and Carmel on the way, but the dates didn't really work out well with his schedule. And besides, I was secretly hoping to sew ALL WEEK LONG!!! The idea just sounded so heavenly!

So instead of an awesome road trip we decided to spend a couple days in Vegas, which still left me with about a week of free time to do as I pleased. I spent most of the days working out in the mornings, grabbing lunch at a new spot, and sewing. I primarily worked on the Deer and Doe Pavot Jacket, which took way longer than it should have only because I decided to finish the seams with handmade bias tape (gawd, that took forever!).


And then the day before we left for Vegas I decided that I should make myself a Vegas dress! Let me clarify for a sec. When I say "Vegas Dress" I'm not talking about a slutty dress, but rather something that I wouldn't normally wear everyday. I high-tailed it to Jo-ann Fabrics because I wanted something fairly inexpensive and I wasn't too concerned about making a high quality garment. I wanted something floaty, but instead settled on a pink bottomweight fabric. Then I found some gold metallic bias tape! GOLD! To me, nothing screams 'Vegas' more than GOLD!

I decided to use the Belladone Pattern from Deer and Doe, which is pretty conservative in the front, but the back is so wonderfully unexpected that I felt it was appropriate for the occasion. I made a muslin of the bodice since I knew the back would not fit on the first try. I tried to shorten the long edges since there was quite a bit of gaping, but I still don't think I have the pattern modified correctly. However, I was very short on time so I forged ahead. I stayed up so very late working on this dress and woke up early the next morning to finish it.


This dress looks like a total rush job up close, but I think it's passable from afar. The back neckline is totally messed up so I can't really wear this dress with the back neckline exposed. I didn't take any photos of the insides because that would pretty much be the equivalent of airing my dirty laundry. Trust me, the insides are not worth sharing....it's pretty embarrassing. I ran out of white serger thread midway through so only half of the seams are finished properly. I didn't have time to slipstitch the hem so I just machined stitched it; oh by the way, I completely forgot to buy thread that matches the fabric so I used a color that doesn't quite match the fabric, but I think it sorta coordinates. The top of the zipper is kind of a disaster. I really struggled with the best way to finish that part. Regardless, I had fun wearing this dress. And besides, I kept telling myself I would be in Vegas. There are a ton of people so messed up and poorly dressed that no one was going to notice the flaws with my dress. That was my sewing mantra as I powered through this dress: It's Vegas, no one will notice!


The instructions are pretty sparse, but I think the dress is easy enough that you don't really need that hand-holding. Just make sure you take the time to match up the back bodices pieces correctly. Double-check before you sew!

I definitely want to make the Belladone Dress again, but this time in a lighterweight fabric. Despite all the construction flaws I have actually worn this dress more times than any other dress I've made. In addition to wearing it in Vegas I also wore it for Easter brunch and to dinner to celebrate my 5th Wedding Anniversary! Hooray for marriage! I need to revisit my muslin first to make sure it fits properly in the back. Anyone have a good tutorial or hack job to get the back to fit better?

Comments

  1. This is such a fun dress. I really like the gold accents, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! The gold is something I never would have done on any other occasion, but I love it!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Kaoru!

    I found your blog through the Flickr group while I was looking for finished Belladonna examples. It looks awesome; even if you know that it's ganky on the inside, I can't tell! Also, hello from San Francisco! You should check out Hearst Castle if you get a chance. I just went there in April and drove along the coast. It was a spectacular trip.

    -Mica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mica! We have a trip to Napa coming up this year so if we end up driving hopefully we have time to stop by Hearst Castle. I keep hearing wonderful things about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Sewaholic Davie LBD

What's your definition of "Work Appropriate" when it comes to dresses? Of course, one's work environment will determine the definition of "work appropriate" so it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all situation. I started drafting this post before I read Charlotte's recent post about dressing for work and loved reading her post and the discussion in the comments. Personally, I work in a fairly conservative industry. I'm an engineer, I work in an office, and when I go to client meetings, project interviews, public outreach meetings, and professional work events, the guys are in suits (mostly with ties) and the women are in similar attire (suits, pencil skirts w/ nice blouse, sheath or fit-and-flare dresses). Go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor's website and check out the work styles. That's my "work appropriate" attire. Apparently my husband severely disagrees. And I found out we had drastically different opinions regar