Skip to main content

{Links} 14.10.27

Pincushion Top

1. I've started {and stopped} a bunch of blogs over the years. Of course none have ever gained any strong readership, but it's something I enjoy doing. Every single time I started a blog I had the most difficult time coming up with a name. I once re-branded a blog because I was so over the original name. I enlisted my brother for help and I think he eventually came up with the winning name.

I've gone back and forth many times over what I want to call this blog. I don't want to pigeon-hole myself into one specific craft (sewing, photography, lettering, etc.), which is why I didn't create a pun on sewing or include 'photography' in my name. I also knew I most likely wasn't going to become a hardcore photographer anyway. I use my name because it's an easy option and I haven't met anyone else with the First-Middle name combo so I'm assuming I'm the only one with this name so I think it has some uniqueness. For awhile though I gave this blog a different title, 'Calmez-Vous', but I recently removed it, which may or may not be correctly reflected in your reader.

Anyway, totally long-winded way of saying, I came across a book called, 'Don't Call it That' that is supposed to help you develop your business {or blog?} name. What's your opinion on business naming? Are you for or against using your name in a business? Would it be confusing if I re-branded this blog? I always think it would be cool if I could start a side business through this blog, which is why I care so much about the naming thing.
{Don't Call it That via Aeolidia}

2. I've never bought anything from ModCloth, but I am so tempted to do so after searching their website for alllllll the cat items! I may do some xmas shopping there for some feline-loving friends because there is some seriously cute and/or hilariously ridiculous cat items for sale.
{All the Cat Items at ModCloth}

3. I read CNN Money fairly religiously because I'm a personal finance geek. Recently they've been running a "24 hours with [...]" and have been highlighting some odd jobs. One was about a concierge for a very wealthy family and another was about a kindergarten teacher (ok, I guess that's not actually an odd job). The most recent story is about a professional cosplay character, which I didn't even know was a real job. She makes all of her costumes and the one she wears and created in this story is very intricate. It's mentioned that she'll spend 600 hours on a costume! Knowing how long it takes me to make a dress, I'm not surprised by that time estimate.
{24 hrs w/a comicon character // CNN Money}

4. How have I only just heard of Pattern Workshop????? I felt like I was living under a rock when I came across it.
{Pattern Workshop}

5. I'm heading to Hello Kitty Con this coming Sunday. I feel like I'm 8 years old again, but whatever. I know there are tons of people (men and women) my age who are really into HK and will be there. I'm going with a friend who may or may not bring her toddler-aged kiddo. She sent me an article the Hello Kitty Food Scavenger Hunt, which consists of several restaurants in the area preparing a special HK item on the menu. There are limited quantities available each day, but if you happen to order it, then you get a special HK pin. It's so ridiculous (umm, Hello, pink cheese??), but I totally want those pins!
{Hello Kitty Food Scavenger Hunt // LAist }

Comments

  1. I've never heard of Pattern Workshop either!

    I can't remember if I have wrote this before, but your link round up is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who hadn't heard of it. It looks really, really cool and definitely something I'd eventually like to do.

      Oh good, glad you like these link round up posts!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Sewaholic Davie LBD

What's your definition of "Work Appropriate" when it comes to dresses? Of course, one's work environment will determine the definition of "work appropriate" so it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all situation. I started drafting this post before I read Charlotte's recent post about dressing for work and loved reading her post and the discussion in the comments. Personally, I work in a fairly conservative industry. I'm an engineer, I work in an office, and when I go to client meetings, project interviews, public outreach meetings, and professional work events, the guys are in suits (mostly with ties) and the women are in similar attire (suits, pencil skirts w/ nice blouse, sheath or fit-and-flare dresses). Go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor's website and check out the work styles. That's my "work appropriate" attire. Apparently my husband severely disagrees. And I found out we had drastically different opinions regar