Skip to main content

{Goals} What to do in 2015

Sewing Tools

I drafted a long blog post about my 2015 goals and let it sit, unpublished, for a couple weeks. I thought about it almost every day wondering if I should publish it or not. I never really understood the necessity or desirability of goal setting until recently, probably the last 2-3 years. I've noticed that writing them out (either in a notebook or in a blog post) helps make them "real" and not just a bunch of "that would be nice to do" thoughts. So I knew I wanted to write about setting goals, I just wasn't sure if the goals I set were the "right" ones to make.

In 2014 I set myself 8 sewing goals. I didn't accomplish all of them, but I came pretty close. I never finished a button-up shirt for my husband (I only made a muslin, which still needs to be fitted) and I never got around to picking a coat pattern. Even though I didn't finish all 8 sewing projects, I'm glad I set them because I made some stuff I'm pretty sure I would have set aside multiple times if it weren't for that little annoying voice in the back of my head saying, "make that damn swimsuit!" or "when are you ever going to start on that simple men's vest?!"

Serger

So when I started thinking about what to accomplish in 2015, I got a little too ambitious. I kid you not, I set 15 goals for myself: 10 sewing related and 5 personal!! Are they doable? Heck yes! But c'mon, 15 goals for one year? What was I thinking? Why was I putting so much pressure on myself? It's like I listed everything that was in my head at that moment and said, 'ok, those are my goals for this year!' I'm pretty sure I was so reluctant to publish that post because I was worried it seemed ridiculous. And it was.

I recently read an article in Money magazine about New Year's resolutions, primarily personal finance related. One thing that really stuck out to me is that it is typical for people to only follow through with about a handful of resolutions. The author recommended only setting half a dozen resolutions and it would be much more likely that you'll accomplish all of them rather than set 15 goals and get so flustered or overwhelmed that you only do maybe 3.

So I scratched my initial list of 15 goals and came up with 5 Goals for 2015:
  1. Continuing Education - I want to take at least one class to learn something new. It can be anything, but something that forces me out of the house and that I can't learn online.
  2. Wardrobe Architect - I skimmed Sarai's Wardrobe Architect series that she wrote about last year. It wasn't until the Fall that I realized my wardrobe was in serious need of critiquing and planning. I have a feeling that analyzing my wardrobe and preferences will help guide my future sewing staples.
  3. Sell Something - I've been wanting to sell something for years. I have barely worn shoes that just sit in my closet because I feel guilty donating them knowing that I could sell them on ebay. I've wanted to do calligraphy for wedding invites/envelopes or address stamps ever since I got married over 5 years ago and yet I've never done it. So I want to finally to stop saying I *should* sell that and instead finally do it. Just sell at least one item.
  4. Make a bag - I'm so picky when it comes to handbags and I've been saying for years that I should make myself an everyday handbag or a camera bag. Not one that looks like a crafter's bag (no offense to those, just not my taste), but one that really looks professional.
  5. Travel - last year we didn't travel much (only Vegas, Seattle, and San Francisco) and all of our trips were for only a couple days. Our last big trip was in late 2011 when we went to Paris! Oh how I loved Paris. This year I'd like to finally make it back to Asia (I haven't been since I was 9) or Europe, or hopefully both. I've been reading a bunch of blogs for tips on how to accumulate airline miles through credit cards so hopefully we can save a lot of money on airfare.

Centre Pompidou

So those are my 5 goals for 2015. Much more manageable and less stressful than my original list of 15. The goals are kind of general, but I do have some specifics in mind. However, I don't want to pigeonhole my decisions into doing one particular thing if something better in that category pops up. And limiting my sewing goals will allow me to sew whatever the heck pleases me (and hopefully in line with the results of the wardrobe architect). There are several patterns I'd like to make again so maybe this year will be the year of the pattern repeats as opposed to all the shiny and new pattern releases.

I know we're several weeks in, but hope you have a Happy and Healthy 2015!

Comments

  1. Great goals! I'm also going to do WA, so we can cheer each other on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! I just started the first "week" of WA. It was a bit difficult for me to dig down and analyze my style and buying habits, but then I felt much better after writing it all out. And then I didn't save the PDF properly so now I have to redo it *face palm*

      Delete
  2. Your goals are great! I started the wardrobe architect project last year. I need to finish it and make the clothes this year. I also have a goal to travel to Europe, specifically Germany, but it probably won't happen till 2016 for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Ahhh, yes, making the garments from the WA....this project may take longer than I anticipated!

      There are so many places I'd love to visit in Europe. Sometimes I'm envious of people who live on the East Coast because they're so much closer to Europe. I hope your trip to Germany happens! It's definitely a place I'd like to visit eventually.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.