Skip to main content

{Links} 2015.01.18

Day 12/365


It's been awhile since I've done a Links post. Enjoy!

1. Southwest recycled old seat cushions and turned them into handbags and weekend bags. If you like the leather/denim combo look and are into the re/up-cycle lifestyle, then these bags are for you. {Southwest Handbags // Quartz}

2. At first I thought this article was about people putting hair salons into their homes to make some extra cash. I was so wrong! Are in-home hair salons the new luxury item of the 1%? One of the in-home hair salons that was photographed is almost as big as my last apartment! I only get my hair cut 2-3 times per year because I'm too lazy{and cheap} to get my hair cut on a regular basis. I'm also so lazy about getting my hair cut that I hate making an appointment so I go to a place where they only allow drop-ins. So I suppose I understand why some people would want a hair salon in their house {because of the convenience}, but it just seems so extravagant....{Home Hair Salons // Wall Street Journal}

3. I think it's good to have an artsy hobby so reading this article, regarding the benefits crafting has on your brain, put a smile on my face. When I'm not cursing at myself for making a stoopid sewing mistake, I do feel at ease and happier when I'm *making* stuff. {This is Your Brain on Crafting // CNN}

4. I first learned about the Capsule Wardrobe through Elise Joy's blog. As I read more about it I started to see its benefits. I think it could go hand-in-hand with the Wardrobe Architect, too. Living in Southern California, it's easy to wear 80-90% of my wardrobe year-round. But there are pieces I consider summery and others I usually only wear in the winter. I can definitely see myself curating my wardrobe and doing a Capsule Wardrobe this year. It would definitely make getting dressed for work a cinch! {How to Build a Capsule Wardrobe // via Elise Joy}

5. I hate to sound like a total grammar snob, because let's be honest, I'm not all that great with the English language. I still have to reference The Oatmeal when I want to use e.g. or i.e. or I want a refresher on when to use whom or who. But I cringe every time people fuck up using it's, especially when they use it to indicate possession. People, it is never used to indicate possession. Are you confused? Then please, please, check out The Oatmeal. Scroll down to the Its vs. It's section. {How to Use an Apostrophe // The Oatmeal}

My company changed the holiday schedule this year to be more in-line with the Federal Government Holiday Schedule. This means that we get MLK (tomorrow!!) and Veteran's Day off this year, in addition to the usual ones. The one downside is we do not get the day after Thanksgiving off, but whatever, I'll just use a paid vacation day, which I'm sure 95% of my company will.

I haven't had MLK off since college and I'm so excited about it. I'm definitely going to work out. I may even go to Costco! Is it sad that I'm this happy to be able to do grocery shopping on a weekday morning? I'm trying to convince my husband to let me be a stay-at-home-wife, but for some reason he's not buying it. Something about mortgage and bills and retirement savings....blerg. But I'll definitely enjoy my day off tomorrow and a short week!

Comments

  1. Ooooh, I'm into that Oatmeal link! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Erin! The Oatmeal always saves me when I'm writing reports and am worried that my grammar is incorrect. They also have some really funny cat graphics: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/kitty_pet

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.