Skip to main content

"No, You're Only Halfway Done"

You guys, I knit my first sock! And it's totally fugly up-close {trust me}, but I did it!

My First Sock!


So I succumbed to the knitting trend that seems to have taken the sewing blog community by storm the past year or two. I first tried my hand at knitting maybe a decade ago when my mom practically taped knitting needles to my hands during one of my vacation breaks home from college. I'm not much of a scarf person so the thought of knitting rows upon rows upon rows of garter stitch or whatever it's called did not appeal to me since I wasn't planning on doing anything with said finished scarf.

But then I saw Tasha's Dragonfly sweater and I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped because it is so freaking gorgeous. Anyway, long story short, my mom gave me some supplies, I bought a few more knitting needles, I've gotten pretty good at searching for tutorials online, and I've completed a cowl, a shawl, and socks!

Well, actually, as my husband put it, "No. You're only halfway done because you still have one more sock to knit." [Insert crying face here].

You guys, I read about 'Second Sock Syndrome' and I didn't understand it until I finished this one sock. I don't want to go through it again! This pattern is Business Casual by Tanis Lavallee. I picked it because it's free and looked fun. The only thing is, this was my first time knitting a sock. First time using double pointed needles. First time knitting cables. I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I started. I'm glad I did it though. I'm glad I just went head first into it without first researching what I needed to know to knit a sock. But it was frustrating. Very frustrating.

Knitting patterns are rough. They're chock full of abbreviations and it took a lot of Googling, watching videos, and plain old just trying to get this sock done.

I didn't do a good job of counting my stitches so I kept getting lost and definitely threw in cables when I wasn't supposed to or knit them wrong way. I'm terrible at undoing stitches and definitely added in stitches (yarn-overs) when I was back-tracking, which I didn't even know was possible to do.

Second Sock in Progress

But what I have learned in my 3 (well, 2.5) projects, is that I'm pretty good at sticking to one knitting project at a time. While I'm perfectly content with having multiple unfinished sewing projects lying around, the thought of having a bunch of unfinished knitting projects scares me. I think it's because it is pretty easy to pick up a sewing project since you can see exactly where you left off. But, at least for me, it is much more difficult to just look at a row of stitches and know what the next stitch needs to be. {However I'm getting better with leaving myself notes on which round to start on, etc.} I'm also still getting used to finding the right knitting tension so I'm worried if I don't work on a project for an extended period of time, that when I pick it back up my tension might be significantly different.

Anyway, the sock fits! I've already started on the second sock, as evidenced in the above photo, and it's already easier {I almost have the leg pattern memorized!} and I think it's going faster. What's your opinion on knitting socks? It's one garment that I could definitely see myself wearing a lot, but sheesh, they're kind of a pain to make!

Comments

  1. Wow, I can't believe this is your third project!!! Socks as a third project, you are amazing! Do you have any tips for me? My February challenge is to make pair of socks. I bought a Craftsy class, but I'm still nervous :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depending on how well you handle frustration, I would either recommend doing what I did (pick any pattern that interests you, jump right in and figure it out as you go on, most likely making a lot of mistakes) or pick a simple pattern with stuff you're comfortable with (only knit or some lace and purl) just so you can get used to knitting socks. If you just jump right in, then be sure you have a phone or ipad handy to google stuff! There were many moments where I wanted to pull my hair out because I didn't know how to interpret the pattern instructions or I came across something I didn't know how to do (cables and ssk and cf2 and cb2.....*gah! why are knitting patterns soooo abbreviated!*)

    Also, you can either knit socks with double pointed needles or with the the other needles that are connected (not sure of the exact term, but I'm sure you know what I mean), but you have to knit "magic loop" style with those. I tried to learn the magic loop method, but it wasn't coming that easy for me and I was being inpatient so I stuck with the dpns.

    Oh also, most importantly, I thought I only needed 2 dpns and didn't understand why the store had them bundled in sets of 4 or 5. Glad I picked up a package of 5 because you definitely need 4 to knit socks and I ended up using the 5th for the cables since I don't have a "jumper".

    I'm pretty sure all of my rambling just made you more nervous! You've knitted a ton of stuff, so I'm sure you'll be fine!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.