Skip to main content

The Unblogged of 2014

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope your 2015 is off to a great start. I know mine is because I haven't done a lick of work yet :) I can't believe I actually contemplated going to work today. My decision was made when my coworker said, "when's the next time we'll have a 4-day weekend?" Good point, sir. So glad I decided to give myself a 4-day weekend because it feels so good right now knowing that we haven't even reached the weekend!

Anyway...I had intentions of blogging about all of my finished garments for months, but I just never got around to photographing them "properly". Now that it is already 2015, I decided to do a quick round-up of stuff I've made throughout the year that have been languishing in my "to-blog-about" queue. I may or may not do a full-blown review of each garment in the future; I actually have a lot of posts drafted, but for now, this is just a quick and dirty photo-heavy post so I can get it off my chest. For some reason not having blogged about these makes is really getting to me. Such unnecessary pressure!

Deer and Doe Pavot Jacket
{Deer and Doe Pavot} Black Twill


I had this jacket about 90% made in April, but it sat on my dressform for months while I debated which buttons to use and the exact placement of the buttonholes. Then the weather warmed up and it annoyingly remained warm for the longest time so I wasn't in any rush to make a jacket. I eventually finished it sometime in the Fall and I wore it everyday on a recent trip to San Francisco and fairly frequently in November. There are definitely some aspects I would like to change for the next version, but I love this jacket. It can be casual. I can wear it to work. I can wear it while commuting to work by train. I can even wear it out to bars and not feel frumpy. Love it.

Sewaholic Belcarra Blouses (#2 and #3)
{Sewaholic Belcarra} Bias Cut


I'm still not 100% happy with the fit with either of these and I'm beginning to think this pattern just may not be for me. The striped version was cut on the bias and I royally screwed up matching stripes along the side seams (and I even tried!) so I only feel comfortable wearing this blouse under a jacket or cardigan. I also can't tell if it's see through or not, so I don't want to risk wearing it to work sans jacket.

{Sewaholic Belcarra} Xmas Blouse


This green version was my "Christmas Blouse" as I made it several days before Xams. The fabric is a beautiful green silk twill that I purchased at The Fabric Store back in June. I almost made it a skirt and I'm so glad I didn't because this fabric wrinkles just by thinking about wrinkles, which I did not expect. Seriously, look at those wrinkles! The above photo was taken after only one wear and I tried ironing out the wrinkles. I can't even imagine how bad a skirt would have looked like. I changed the hem to a curved hemline that would look more flattering when worn untucked. I also added little gathers at the front neckline to reduce gaping, which made adding the neckline bias facing quite a pain in the ass. Overall, the fit is ok, I'm just really annoyed with the wrinkle situation.

McCall's 6563 (#1 and #2)
{McCalls 6563} Polyester Version


The first version was made with a cheapo poly from Jo-Ann to test the fit and the second is made with a beautiful silk from The Fabric Store (there are tiny gold metallic dots in that print!). This blouse is made on the bias and unfortunately, while I loved it at first, after wearing both blouses several times, I've come to the conclusion that I DO NOT like wearing blouses where the back bodice is cut on the bias. I constantly feel like my blouse is twisted across my back, which is quite irritating.

{McCalls 6563} Silk Version


Also, the cowl/drape on the front is not sitting as well as I had hoped, especially the silk version. I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe the pattern's not that awesome, I didn't cut the fabric 100% on the bias, or the silk I used just does not drape well. I dunno know. I'm not sure I'll be making a third version. So yesterday I was reading the new issue of Seamwork and there's an article, 'Working on the Bias' that I wish I had read before making these blouses.

McCall's 6793
{McCalls 6793} Safety Pin


I took a chance on this pattern making it for the first time with a fabric I had no hope of re-purchasing if I screwed up. Thankfully the blouse fits and I love it. I bought the fabric from the FIDM Scholarship Store in LA and it was the last bit on the roll. There were some defects on the fabric, but thankfully I was still able to salvage enough to make a blouse. The blouse on the pattern envelope looks so cheap, like some shit you'd find at Forever 21, but look beyond it because this pattern has some definite potential.

McCall's 6519
{McCalls 6519} Stars


Another simple blouse. Are you sensing a theme yet? I think I bought all of these McCall's patterns in one day when I was on a "must build a staple wardrobe" kick. I used an Anna Sui poly I picked up at Mood before Labor Day. It was such an impulse purchase too, but I'm glad I bought it. I think I need a swayback adjustment because I feel a lot of fabric pooling at the base of my back, but I still love wearing this blouse because it makes me happy. I think it's "kawaii" without being too over the top.

Sewaholic Tofino PJs
More Tofino PJs!! Gawd, I love this pattern. I've now made this pattern 5 times! I bought 3 yards of LA Kings fabric back in April without a clue as to what I would make. Then the LA Kings won the Cup in June and I knew I had to make some PJs to celebrate! Actually, I wanted to make them in April, but I was worried I would jinx them during their playoff run.....ya know, 'cause that's how sports work. I used a ribbon, in addition to the elastic, and I actually dislike it in reality. The ribbon is just annoying to deal with. Since I'm too lazy to take a "real" photo, you can see how it looks with my awesome Kings T-Shirt in this Instagram Photo. I mean it's PJs....I think you know what they look like.

Simplicity 4762
{Simplicity 4762} Vest


I actually made something for my husband and he likes it! Although, all of the flaws are so glaring in my eyes! Don't pay any attention to the bubbling near the right dart where I f*cked up the interfacing. See those welt pockets? I made them on the first try using only instructions in the Couture Sewing Techniques book. It took for-fucking-ever, but it was totally worth it. The pattern only includes flaps for non-existent pockets and I was having none of that nonsense.

McCall's 6696
{McCalls 6696} Cats


I made a dress for the Cat Lady Sewing Challenge and I wore it to work on Halloween and then I never took "proper" photos of it in time so I didn't officially submit it into the challenge. That's ok because I had fun making the dress and I think that's what matters in the end.

Simplicity 2145
{Simplicity 2145} Floral Rayon Challis


I thought this pattern was meant for knits, but it's actually for wovens. I used rayon challis from Fabric.com and unfortunately, due to the busy print, you can't see any of the awesome details on this dress. Seriously, check out the pattern because the pleats along the bodice and waist are pretty cool. I made this dress for a wedding I attended in November and my husband was definitely holding his breath, praying that I didn't make a sack. I'll be honest, I was worried too because I didn't have enough time to make a muslin. I spent one Sunday evening meticulously tissue fitting the pattern and I was surprised by how well it all worked out. I really want to try this pattern in a stable knit...I think it could totally work.

Colette Hawthorn
{Colette Hawthorn} Black Blend


I made this dress for a Memorial Service back in July. I needed a black dress suitable for hot and humid weather and this dress worked out pretty well. I bought the fabric from the FIDM Scholarship store and I thought it was a linen blend, but my mom thinks it's a wool blend. It is a bit scratchy, but I still think it's a linen blend because of the weave of the fabric. Is there such a thing as a linen-wool blend?? I'm still not convinced the off-white buttons look the best on this dress, but it is what it is. Also, those fucking darts. Has anyone gotten these darts to look good? The back fits like a glove, but eek, those darts. Thank goodness this dress is black to camouflage the fit in front.

Butterick 5526
{Butterick 5526} Pink Plaid Flannel


I finally purchased this pattern after seeing Lauren of Lladybird make so many awesome shirts. I eventually want to make the princess-seamed fitted blouse, but first I tried out the loose-fitting, rolled-up sleeve version. This was my first time using plaid so I used a cheapish plaid flannel from Jo-ann. I drafted a yoke piece because I wanted to play around with bias cut plaid. I'll definitely do a full write-up on this shirt because I fucking love it and so does my husband. I think this might be my favorite make this year. I wish I could wear it to work, but it's way too casual. I'll need to find a more professional looking plaid fabric because I want to wear this shirt for days.

So there you go. Quite a lot of garments, IMO. My blog may have been quiet, but I was a busy sewing-worker bee behind the scenes. I plan on doing a Hits and Misses post as well as a 2014 Reflections and 2015 Goals posts so look out for those.

Do you blog about everything you make? And what's your opinion on blogging repeats? Maybe it's worth posting about repeats if there is something new to say...I dunno, I can't decide.

Have a fun weekend, folks!

Comments

  1. Holy moly! All of these are unblogged makes? So many pretty things! Swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gillian! I definitely need to be better about blogging them. I know some people feel like they can't wear items until they blog about it, but I apparently have the opposite problem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.