Skip to main content

Gardening Baby Steps

My First Garden

I don't like house plants. I don't like gardening. I've never cared for tending to anything plant-like except for basil plants. Although I usually end up letting them die and then I buy another one. I don't have a green thumb that apparently the rest of my family has.

But the other day I thought, "I should plant some succulents." No idea why I suddenly had the drive to clean out this small sliver of dirt in my front patio that has been collecting leaves and berries for the past 1.5 years. The previous tenants/owners left behind some disposable planters and hideous-to-me garden decorations that I have been too lazy to throw out. Here's a before shot of the area.

Before....So Sad

Now, I've never liked succulents or cacti. I've always thought they were ugly. I never understood why people willingly planted them in their yards. But lately I've been starting to see the appeal. Perhaps it's because my state has been in a drought for several years and you'd be hard pressed to go a couple days without hearing something about water restrictions and which cities are wasting the most water (*cough*Beverly Hills*cough*). Drought resistant landscaping. It's a hot thing nowadays. The next trend everyone is jumping on since gluten-free.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting drought-resistant for low-maintenance. Regardless, the idea had been self-planted in my head and I couldn't get it out. I measured my plot of land (5' long x 8" wide) and searched for succulents at Home Depot. I only had succulents on my mind, but then these tiny cacti with glorious bright-colored "things" on them caught my eye. I HAD TO HAVE THEM TOO! So tiny and cute!

I wasn't loving the price tag on all of these suckers ($2.50-$4 each), but I sucked it up. I could have gone for the 6-pack of mixed succulents, which were pretty inexpensive, but some of the succulents in that variety pack were "ground cover", which I truly think just looks like weeds. No, thank you.

My First Garden - Succulent

I thought I would have an easy task of throwing out the old planters, raking the leaves, loosening the soil, and planting the succulents. BWAHahahahaha. What the eff was I thinking? Of course everything had to be 10x more difficult than expected.

Those planters had roots growing out of or into them so they were quite literally attached to the dirt under the planters. I couldn't tell where the roots originated and some looked like they were coming from the neighbor's side. I couldn't believe how many roots were in that small sliver of dirt. What I thought was going to take maybe 30 minutes ended up taking at least 3 hours spread over two evenings.

I eventually got tired of digging down deep looking for the end of all these roots, so I just cut them. I was feeling lazy. I wanted a quick fix. My husband saw me cut some of the roots and chimed in, "you know you're not supposed to do that." YEAH, I KNOW!! THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!!

My First Garden

So yeah......everything looks nice and curated on the surface, but deep down, I wonder how long it'll take for those mystery roots to grow back and ruin my now beloved succulents and cacti. But look at those tiny plants! How did I ever hate them so much???

So I actually have NO idea what I'm doing and whether these succulents will survive. Feel free to chime in with tips if you've ever taken care of succulents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.