Skip to main content

{Travel} Itoya: I'll Take Alllllll the Pens

Despite not hitting up any fabric stores during my trip to Tokyo I did manage to visit Itoya*, a lovely stationery store. Looking back, I am bit confused why Itoya was so high up on my list of 'must-see' while fabric stores were so low on my list. I have no explanation for it.

When I was planning my trip, my mom kept telling me to visit Ginza, especially on a Sunday for the crowds, and my Dad chimed in that his favorite pen store is in Ginza. I don't think my dad and I have ever officially discussed our love of pens, but as I reflect back on my life I now see we have a similar interest in writing instruments.

Itoya is located very close to the main hot spots in Ginza (here's a link to Google Maps) so it wasn't like we had to go out of our way. My husband wasn't exactly jumping at the chance to visit a stationery store. I'm sure he asked more than once whether I could get the same things back home. I dunno, husband. Do you know of a 5 storied stationery store?????


Itoya Floor Map

Ohhh yeah, Itoya is 5 floors of stationery heaven. My dad completely failed to mention this fact, so I was in for a wonderful surprise. Now, one floor is dedicated to wedding stuff (invitations, favors), but the other 4 floors were awesome!

My favorite floor was the one with all the pens. Now sure, you can buy pens at any ol' store and there are specialty stationery stores scattered around LA, but Itoya had a huge selection of pens (ballpoint, jelly, roller, brush, fancy, tiny ones, big ones, fountain pens, etc.). While I do buy a variety of pens from JetPens.com every now and then (and I saw those pens at Itoya), I can't sample them before I buy them, which is key to ensure I'll actually like them! I don't know about you, but writing with a good pen can definitely make my day. Below are some photos of everything I purchased.


Itoya Swag

I only bought 1 mechanical pencil, 3 pens, and 2 brush pens, but only because I didn't really want to spend my whole paycheck on a bucket full of pens. One of the pens that I bought (which isn't shown in the above photo because I took it to work) is a gel pen, but is completely erasable (here's a link to it on JetPens). It's the BEST erasable pen I've ever used.

Pretty Things from Itoya

I was also enamored by all the kawaii stickers and accessories. I also got some silly stuff too, like the metal penholder with a cat on it. I'm still a little confused on how to use it, but who the eff cares, it's adorable! I think you're supposed to clip it onto a notebook so you have an instant penholder.

Cat Penholder from Itoya

The large black cats in the first swag photo are wall stickers, which my husband was *this* close to nixing. He said the stickers "did not go with our home decor". My husband finally agreed that I could get one for my sewing room that was representative of our cat so I picked the one with the cat spritely walking from the light switch. My cat has a tendency to open doors and bust on in as if to say, "what up bitches!", so that one reminded me of him. The one with two cats is actually for my brother and SIL because they have two cats.

If I hadn't already pre-ordered the Get to Work Book, I would have bought a planner. I assume you could have even made your own customized one because there were all sorts of refills available. Even in the digital age and my desire to have less and less stuff, I still love a good planner with actual pages that I can write in and clearly flip through. In anticipation of getting the Get to WorkBook, I purchased those tiny stickers.

I definitely showed some self-restraint while browsing through Itoya. One of the floors had pen pouches, bags, and portfolios, all of which were so tempting...and expensive. Gahhhh, it was all so wonderful.

*I went to the website while writing this post and discovered Itoya is opening a store in June with 12 floors!!! TWELVE!!! I HAVE TO GO BACK!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

Fabric Shopping, Muslins, and Sewing Distractions

Every month I tell myself to stop buying fabric until I make several garments with the fabric in my stash. Unfortunately, most of what I currently have in my stash is for making dress/button-up shirts, which I still need to work out some fitting issues. I've gotten a lot better about not buying new patterns by the five-fold from Jo-Ann Fabrics during the Big 4 sales, although I have bought a couple new patterns from Sewaholic and Thread Theory. But fabric shopping....oooooh, I just can't help myself sometimes! I'll have an idea in my head and then I HAVE TO GET THE FABRIC NOW! I got into one of those fits last Friday. I blame Marrie and her amazing stretch cotton sateen dress . That dress is so cool and exactly the style and colors (black and white!) I would love to use as the backbone for my work wardrobe builder. After thinking about stretch cotton all morning, I sped-walked over to Michael Levine during my lunch break hoping to find some fabric to make a dress.