Skip to main content

Goodbye 2013, Hello 2014!

woah woah, where did the year go? I can't believe my last post was in October. I have so many drafts of completed garments to blog about, but I've struggled with getting photos of them (I'm fully aware it's a super lame excuse). I've realized the past couple months that without blogging about my sewing adventures I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. But as I look back at my 2013 posts and the unblogged items, I did accomplish a considerable amount for me. A definite improvement over the previous years. Here is a not-so brief recap, very text heavy, more like a brain vomit. Sorry. Not sorry.

I'm most proud about the Minoru Jacket, which has to be my favorite item that I have sewn to date. I'm somewhat happy with the Robson Trench coat, but not entirely so because I like the fabric less and less every time I see it in my closet. I bought new fabric at Mood (before Thanksgiving!) that I intend on sewing into an even shorter Robson Trench (2014 goal).

My second favorite item that I made this year is a striped Renfrew shirt (never blogged about). I still haven't gotten a photograph of myself wearing it, but I will definitely blog about it when I get that photo. I used a grey and purple striped knit from Joann Fabrics and I spent the time to match the stripes at the side seams and tried my best to match them as much as possible at the arm seams. The fabric is really soft, the colors are fantastic, and I would wear this shirt everyday if I could (as in, if it were appropriate for me to wear a v-neck "t-shirt" to work).

I also really like the bird cowl neck knit top I made and I definitely get a lot of wear out of it. And the Emery Dress ended up being on the hit list, despite using not so fabulous fabric. It's such a classic style that can go with anything and, depending on the fabric, can be worn to any event, casual or dressy. I'm really looking forward to making more Emery Dresses in 2014. I'm still not 100% happy with the gaping along the back neckline, but I think I have finally modified the pattern to fit my back better. I've come to the realization that I may have forward sloping shoulders, which makes me sad for some reason. It's not that surprising considering I'm hunched over a keyboard for way too many hours per day. I've been trying very hard lately to stand and sit up straight, with my shoulders back...*sigh* I can hear my ballet instructor every time I notice I need to roll back my shoulders. *sigh*

Oh, and I made Tofino pajama pants for myself! I'm also nearly done with a pair for a friend and I bought fabric to make for another friend. This pattern is awesome! Definitely need to blog about this one. But here's a shitty iphone pic that I sent to my mom:

orange owls in the moonlight. so sexy.

I also made some pet costumes for my brother's cats. I spent way too long on them, but I really liked how they came out. Now I really want to make another pet costume...maybe something more elaborate...

As far as my misses go, I made a couple skirts that turned out ok (nothing awesome, just meh) and a peplum top that I really don't like (it's heading to Goodwill this weekend). I also made an unblogged about drape neck knit top, that I liked at first, but I need to shorten it. I also made a Cambie dress, but then I ate too much since completing it so it's a wee bit tight. Also, the fabric was awesome in theory, but in reality it's so ridiculous for a casual dress because I really can't wear this dress anywhere.

Lesson learned? Pay more attention to fabric, the quality of it and how it may look as a finished garment.

I decided earlier this week that I definitely need goals for 2014 to keep me on track. I have so many ideas in my head and it's stressing me out. I have lots of patterns that have gone untouched and lots of fabric that needs to be used! Here are my plans for 2014:


  1. Sleeveless Emery Dress
  2. Another Emery Dress or Simplicity Dress
  3. Albion Toggle Coat (I worked several days to modify the pattern to fit me and I think I finally have it done. I just need to buy hair canvas or silk organza to underline the wool since it has a bit of stretch to it)
  4. Zinnia (I just bought a lightweight corduroy from Joann Fabric that I'm very excited about)
  5. Negroni Mens Shirt (I started making a muslin last spring and then forgot about it)
  6. Men's Vest (my husband has been bugging me for a vest like the one Walter Goggins wears in 'Justified')
  7. Shortened Robson Trench Coast (I want to try and make it into sort of a circle skirt coat. Edie Falco wore a fabulous royal blue short trench coat in 'Nurse Jackie' that I'm dying to recreate).
  8. Bombshell Swimsuit (I already have the fabric, just need to buy the pattern and get sewing)


8 items.....seems like enough to keep me occupied for 2014. The crazy thing is that I have the fabric for all of these items except for the mens vest. I theoretically could have made all of these items in 2013 if I had gotten my shit together. Of course, I would love to throw more items to the 2014 list, but, knowing how long it takes me to make stuff, I don't want to completely stress myself out. Also, I may have to travel for work several days once a month for the first half of the year, which totally bums me out. I fucking hate traveling for work because it totally throws off my schedule. It seems great in theory, but every time I come home I always think, 'where did the fucking week go!?!' and then no sewing gets done for another week or two.

Taking a page out of the Elise playbook, my 2014 word is "Focus". If I stay focused, I can breeze through these 8 items and then tackle many more things in 2014.

Happy 2014, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Travel} Tokyo Train Travel

One of the things I obsessed over while planning my trip to Tokyo was train travel. I knew we could sight-see all over Tokyo by just using the train, but how exactly would we do it? What tickets did we need? How much were the fares? What lines to take? I consulted with my brother (who lived there for a couple years in the 2000s, my mom (who was born and raised in Japan and lived there till her mid-20s and has gone back every now and then over the years), and friends. I also read a lot of blogs and websites scouring for info. If you're traveling to Tokyo and only staying in Tokyo, which is what we did, then here are some train travel tips to save you some headaches. Do note that I'm notoriously frugal, but in some cases I'm not always suggesting the cheapest option. Sometimes, it's worth paying a few extra yen to save time and travel easier. 1. Choose a Hotel Near the JR Yamanote Line My #1 suggestion for visiting Tokyo, is book a hotel near one of the stations al

{Simplicity 2154} Not so Retro Anymore

I meant to post this on Sunday, but somehow life got in the way. By the way, how was your weekend? (I feel like talking about mine so I'm going to pose a rhetorical question first.) I felt so off all last week as I kept getting the days mixed up and my husband was out of town for half of the week and normally I'm all like " SEWING ALL NIGHT! Woooo!! ", but I just wasn't feeling it. Instead I was mopey and sad that he was gone and my cat ignored me most of the nights (is that not the saddest thing you've read all day??) This is how I felt all last week.......mehhhhhhhh...... But the weekend made up for it. We celebrated our SIXTH (!!) wedding anniversary at Animal , which we first went to three or four years ago, I think for another anniversary dinner. Then two nights later, on Monday, we went out for sushi at Sugarfish , which in my opinion is the best value for the quality you get. And now it's already Wednesday evening! Where did the week go?

Sewaholic Davie LBD

What's your definition of "Work Appropriate" when it comes to dresses? Of course, one's work environment will determine the definition of "work appropriate" so it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all situation. I started drafting this post before I read Charlotte's recent post about dressing for work and loved reading her post and the discussion in the comments. Personally, I work in a fairly conservative industry. I'm an engineer, I work in an office, and when I go to client meetings, project interviews, public outreach meetings, and professional work events, the guys are in suits (mostly with ties) and the women are in similar attire (suits, pencil skirts w/ nice blouse, sheath or fit-and-flare dresses). Go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor's website and check out the work styles. That's my "work appropriate" attire. Apparently my husband severely disagrees. And I found out we had drastically different opinions regar